Mike Corthell

Mike Corthell
Editor & Publisher at Fryeburg Free Press MEDIA

Monday, January 3, 2011

Here are my 2011 predictions!


Since some people will think I just got lucky last year, I decided to make some predictions for 2011:
The overall economy will get no better or no worse. Even though President Obama believes he made a huge compromise by agreeing to extend the current tax rates for two years, that time period does not remove enough uncertainty from the business environment to stimulate robust investments.
Businesses will continue to be cautious with their cash, because they usually make big investments based on at least a five to 10-year time frame to ensure they get an adequate return on their investments. The annual predictions derby has started again. I wanted to resist getting into that race this year, but when I went back to see how I did at the beginning of 2010, I was pleasantly surprised. Here are the predictions I made for 2010 in my Jan. 3, 2010, commentary:
The economy will not improve in 2010. Check!
The unemployment rate will remain above 9 percent. Check!
Businesses will remain in a state of "stop." Check!
The $787 billion stimulus will just grow government. Check!
Republicans will regain control of the House. Check!
The Senate will be split 50/50 (It's 51D/47R/2Ind). Close! Read more: I was prescient in 2010, so here's 2011! http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=246829#ixzz19xo2KVF4

No comments: