Mike Corthell

Mike Corthell
Editor & Publisher at Fryeburg Free Press MEDIA

Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Truth About Contentment



Greg Laurie asks, 'Are you happy with what you have, where you are right now?'


Are you content? Are you happy with what you have and where you are right now, or do you secretly wish, deep down inside, that things were better? Maybe you wish you were a bit smarter or a bit better-looking or more successful. Maybe you have thought to yourself, If I just could get that raise, … If I could just move into the better neighborhood, … or, If I could just have a better car, … or If I could just get the newest iPhone. … It just goes on endlessly.
I heard a story about a wealthy employer who overheard one of his employees remark, “You know what? If I had $1,000, I would be perfectly content.”
As he walked away, he overheard her say rather bitterly, “Why didn't I ask for $2,000?”Knowing that wealth had never brought him contentment, he walked over to that employee and said, “You know, I have always wanted to meet someone who is perfectly content. So I am going to grant your desire.” He pulled out his checkbook, wrote a check for $1,000 and gave it to her.
That is the way it works. It’s called human nature.
Getting more stuff does not bring happiness or contentment. One psychologist who has conducted research on what brings contentment said, “If people strive for a certain level of affluence, thinking it will make them happy, they find that in reaching it, they quickly become habituated to it and are at a point when they are hankering for the next level of income, property, or good health.”


No comments: